Hi! I am Savio DSilva. Below in my article on "41 Tips to Learn English Quickly" are easy tips, quick suggestions, hard facts or simple advice that will help you learn to speak English more fluently.
This is my little way of helping people around the world learn to speak better in English. I sincerely hope you can adopt a few of these tips to speak in English more fluently.
I have done tons of research on this topic and have compiled a list of 41 ways to learn English quickly.
41 Ways to Learn English Fast1. Set goals. Deciding how many hours you want to study, how many words you want to learn or what score you want to get in a test are all good ways of making sure you do extra study.
2. Learn 10 new words each day & try to make sentences out of them.
3. Use the internet for free English grammar lessons. Join an English Club online. Listen to a podcast.
4. Watch English channels on TV for an hour or more each day. Watch Soap Operas - the place where extreme expression and limited vocabulary meet! This is such a fascinating way to learn a foreign language. Every accessory that goes with the expression of a word is demonstrated on a soap opera.
5. Listen to English radio stations. Have English radio on in the background while you are doing your housework. Even if you are not listening carefully, it will help you get a feel for natural English rhythm and intonation.
6. Speak only in English even if you make mistakes. People who make mistakes learn faster as the experience taught them invaluable lesson. So, start your English conversation with your parents, siblings, neighbours, classmates and peers. Don’t be intimidated when other people surrounding laugh at your attempt and your mistakes. See the difference after 1 month.
7. Check your effectiveness in the Four Skills of English. Fluency in English is actually composed of four skills: speaking, understanding, reading, and writing. Many of us do one better than the others.
8. Read atleast 1 english newspaper in the morning. Reading daily newspapers, even small local editions or newsletters is another great way to practice the language as it is spoken by the average person. It will also help you understand some of the local terms and expressions from the area you’re in as well.
9. Read atleast 1 english book or novel every month.
10. Interact more with people who speak in English.
11. Keep learning new words even when you speak English decently.
12. Chat in English speaking chatrooms for a few hours/week.
13. Learn how to correctly order the words in a sentence. Correct ordering of words in a sentence is called syntax. This is usually one of the most difficult areas to master in any language. In order to improve English skills in this area, start by studying the parts of sentences in detail. You will need to practice and get the help of a skilled native english speaker to improve your skills.
14. Talk in English in front of your mirror at home. Speak aloud to yourself. Practicing your English is always important, but you might not always have someone to practice with. Thus, you must speak to yourself (and answer!). Pretend that you are having a conversation with another person. Discuss everything from everyday matters, like brushing your teeth, to the more important matters, like politics and philosophy. You don't even have to believe what you say, just say it, as it's practice, practice, practice which will make you more competent in your new language.
15. Read books aloud in your room for half an hour few times a week. Research has shown it takes about three months of daily practice to develop strong mouth muscles for speaking a new language.
16. Read 1 online article a day. The time you spend surfing the web gives you countless opportunities to improve your English. All you have to do is find the right websites. Search for articles on topics you’re interested in. It doesn’t matter if the articles are short. What’s important is that they follow the basic rules of English spelling and grammar.
17 Record your own voice and listen for pronunciation mistakes. Many people hate to hear the sound of their voice and avoid listening to themselves speak. However, this is a very important exercise because doing it will help you become conscious of the mistakes you are making.
18 Be patient. It takes time to learn to speak English well.
19 Join English speaking courses. When circumstances are right, pick and join an English course, which is easily available nearby your neighborhood, in schools or even online, where you can learn from the comfort of your own place.
20 Play online games. There are lots of games that can improve your English vocabulary. My favorites are Text Twist, Boggle and Google Image Labeler. The best thing about these games is that you can play them for free and with other people.
21 Use your cellphone’s dictionary to help improve your English.
22 Only search in English. Switching your search engine to the English language version of MSN, Yahoo, Google etc. can not only be a good way of practising fast reading for specific information in English, but could also give you a wider choice of sites to choose from and give you an idea of what foreigners are writing about your country and area.
23. Read - Read everything in English – books, magazines, brochures, catalogs, signboards and everything. If you’ve been accustomed to reading the newspaper in your mother tongue, choose the one in English from now on. Stick to it.
24. Write - Write your first sentence in your sketch book, diary, journal, blog and so on. If you’re so scared that someone will see your writing and laugh at it, keep it a secret.
25. Purchase a grammar book. When improving your English skills, a grammar book is very handy. You will find that there are a number of fantastic grammar books available. One example is Strunk & White's 'Elements of Grammar'. Another great grammar book to use is 'Essentials of English', which not only covers grammar, but also correct usage and even punctuation, with separate sections which will teach you how to improve clarity in your speech and writing.
26. Read the Comics/Funny Papers. Very non-stressful! Pictures with words, or words with pictures, however you want to look at it, it's a great way to learn!
27. Learn these two sentences and you'll find it easy to communicate in English. "How do you say (blank)", in English, and "What is that called?" (Point if you have to, and smile too). Smiling is a universal language. Once I learned how to ask these two questions, I was on my way to being conversant in the language of my choice!
28. Listen To Audio Books. Download old and new audio books to listen to on your MP3 player or computer. For new releases, you may have to pay for the download, but there may be some audio books that you can use for free. Make sure to download the English version and stick to fairly easy stories to start with. English audio books are usually narrated by well spoken voice actors. This makes it much easier for you to be able to pick out certain words, and understand what is being said. If you are a beginner, why not listen to children’s audio books. These usually come with actual books that you can read at the same time as listening.
29. Watch Videos on Youtube in English on any topic you like. Listening & watching videos in English is a great way to build your skills and vocabulary.
30. Think in English. You don’t need any equipment for this one. Just look around the room you are in and try to name all the objects in English. If there are any words you don’t know, look them up. Once you have named all the objects, describe where they are.
31. Make lists. This is an easy and helpful way to practise spelling and writing. When you have groceries to buy, or errands to run, try writing out a list each time.
32. Listen to English songs. Read the lyrics as you listen to the songs. Listen to your favourite songs and sing along to them.
33. Start a blog in English. This is one way for you to practice your writing. Blog on something that you love. If you are a fan of movies, start a blog and write about your favourite movies, your favourite characters, what you think could be improved in the movie, what new movies to expect next year, etc. Besides blogging, try joining online forums, engage in online chatting and more.
34. Write a news diary. Another daily writing task that can work for people who would be bored by writing about their own routines in a diary is to write about the news that you read and listen to everyday.
35. Attend a public speaking course at SDC. Public speaking classes at a good institute really help you speak English more fluently.
36. Attend plays or other events (talks, presentations) in English organized by English language organizations.
37. Signup for a regular English tip website – There are many websites over the internet that e-mail you free English tips everyday. Signup for them and lift the advantage of them.
38. Read the lyrics to a song. Although just listening to a song in English can be a good way of really learning the words of the chorus in an easily memorable way, if you want to really get something out of listening to English music you will need to take some time to read the lyrics of the song with a dictionary.
39. Write a film, music, hotel or book review. Another motivating and easy way to make yourself write in English is to write a review for a site such as Amazon or Internet Movie Database. Many non-native speakers write reviews on sites like this, and if you have some special understanding of the book, music or film due to your first language or knowing the artist personally, that would be very interesting for the English speakers who read and write reviews on the site.
40. Buy an electronic dictionary that speaks. If you can get a dictionary that has different accents you can also use that to make sure you are familiar with American accents (most of the test) or British and Australian accents (some parts of the test that people who have only studied American English can find difficult).
41. Use "Shadow Practice". This is a simple way to improve but it can really change how smoothly you speak! Whenever you hear someone speaking English, either a teacher in the classroom or someone on TV or in a movie, simply move your own mouth as if you were speaking. Do NOT use your voice, because you need to listen carefully to the speaker. One of Teacher Joe's students did this in class, and became the teacher's "shadow". She ended up being the best speaker in the whole school!
Congrats! You have taken a big step towards improving your English.
Pass on this free article to everyone you know so that they too are aware of these simple ways of improving their English fluency skills.
Support this cause by passing this article on to at least 2 other people. It's completely free.
Thanks for Reading this far. And, here's hoping that you can use the simple ways to learn English shared in this article help you and many others too.
You should pass this article on to your family, colleagues and friends and help them improve their English language skills as well.